Well let’s just start by saying people should really tell
you more about this so called “easy” visa run….lol. I titled this blog hold on
to your hats for a reason. It requires an entry just for the journey to Penang.
Begin…..9pm Saturday night at the Koh Tao Pier, Island
Travel (great place in the little town by the pier) had organised my trip down
here. Seeing as I waited to long to book it I was stuck taking the “mini” bus
a.k.a. Van, but first I had to endure a long ride on the overnight boat to
Suratanni. Boarding the boat and finding a mat (bed) in the middle away from as
many people as possible, I got ready for the long journey ahead. This meant
locking up the computer, setting the best playlist I made on iTunes, cuddling
my purse like an extra pillow, a xanax, and I was out. Waking up startled by
the lady next to me, who had decided that her mat wasn’t enough for her as she
rolled over onto me. I tried with all my might to pull my things out from under
her and shimmy over as well. She didn’t even move, or stir the whole time, so
finally I just nudged her and got free. Trying to fall back asleep I found the
surroundings though not particularly the best but calming nonetheless. I’m
guessing it was the rocking of the water that helped me finally drift back to
sleep. Awaking as the boat pulled into port, getting my things together, and
finding my bus ticket I was greeted by a nice lady with a sign who asked me to
wait on the curb. As the people piled off the boat and gathered for the bus we
were all a little out of it, but happy to be back on land. This was going to be
the easy part I thought……hahahahahhaa…….We were shuttled to the office where we
were given a sticker to put on with our final destination. Thank god for that
sticker I started to realise as the journey went on. I met a nice French man
from Paris who was also doing the same visa run as me, so at least I could
recognise a familiar face along the way.
Now for the parts no one tells you about……lol. The “mini”
bus or van as I will refer to it from now on would be our transportation for
the rest of the way. We got on at the office thinking we are going to be
transferred to a nice cozy comfy bus like the others, but nope so we began our
adventure. Not stopping in the city, but rather randomly to pick up and drop
off locals. It seemed strange at first but after the 5th or 6th
stop I was used to the chaos. Always looking at my new friend for assurance
that we were still supposed to be on this bus, driving for what felt like hours
really was only 1.5 hrs. We stopped at a side road restaurant with toilets, and
were told by an amazingly funny Thai guy in a cowboy hat to get off the bus,
and wait 20 mins. All I could think about was a COLD drink. So into the shop I
went, got my drink, sat down, opened the it and was prompty told by Cowboy that
it was time to go!!! Back in the same van as before we ventured off again.
Jammed between the door and a kid fully passed out and letting smelly farts go
the whole way I tried to catch some zzzzz…..and as soon as I finally fell
asleep we stopped at another place on the side of the road and were ordered to
get out of this van and wait for another. Whilst another lady asked for our
passports and told us to sit and wait, which didn’t last long when a new driver
came in and told us to get into the new van. Hoping this would be our last stop
I found a comfy seat in the back corner, reclined and tried to sleep once
again. We started to drive off and this funny little Japanese guy next to me
realised his friend was NOT on the bus, we stop, pick him up and start going
again, when the same Japanese guy then realised his bag was also NOT in the
van. U-turn, back to the side of the road and pick up his bag, we were finally
off on our way. Getting an hour or so of shuteye, and waking up as we drive
though the customs checkpoint, I was wondering why it was so easy, I settled
back into my seat, closed my eyes, and turned on the music, and again 2 mins
later we are stopped at the boarder crossing, and the driver is telling us to
get out, go get in line, and pay 10bht for a stamp (that we will get later),
getting into the Thai customs line you could tell this was a normal everyday
thing here. Finally after about 10 mins of waiting in line I get to the window,
and my sweet customs officer asks me if she can take a break to go to the
toilet. Not sure what would happen if I said no, I politely agreed to wait
another 10mins….lol. She returned fresh with all new make-up, stamped my
passport and we loaded back into the van. Thinking we had to be almost finished
I search through my bag for something to eat. Promptly stopping about 500m down
the road where we needed to get out again, this time with all our bags and walk
through Malaysian customs. Putting our bags in the security check machine and
walking though metal detectors I realised there wasn’t even a person at the
computer checking what we had….lol. Following the signs for the exit we were
again greeted by the same van, and piled back in for the last 2hrs of our journey
to Penang stopping quickly down the road to pay the customs officer for who
knows what I drifted back off to sleep.
Waking up a little later as we arrived in the outskirts of
Penang pulling off to let out three locals, we then veered off into a gas
station, not to get gas but to give some lady in a black car a bunch of bags of
unknown liquid……all of us including the sleeping Japanese guy were very curious
as to what had just gone down. The driver proceeds to ask us all where we were
staying before we made the last 20 mins of our journey to George Town, Penang.
Arriving at Bahamas Guesthouse I checked into my room, went to the ATM, handed
in my passport, got a towel, and headed up for a well-needed shower. Hot water
and A/C felt like heaven on earth after that journey, not to mention the fact
that I finally had a bed. I watched a couple TV shows until my computer died,
and decided it was time for Indian food, and a SIM card. Following a wonderful
dinner, and success with getting Internet access, I was on the hunt for a
sports bar and ESPN so I could watch the LFC – Everton game. Finding one close
by virtually empty I chatted with the bartender, had some pumpkin soup, and
drank a couple beers. The game finished with what I thought was a goal for LFC
but was called back because of offside, annoyed that we tied I headed back to
my hostel for a good night’s sleep. Waking up in the middle of the night
FREEZING since A/C is not something I get much of these days, I turned it off
and fell blissfully back to dreamland.
Sounds like a bus trip from hell!! I suppose you can look at it that you are getting to see the real Thailand, smelly farts notwithstanding - that had to be a joy ;) While reading I had visions of a rickety old school bus but am beginning to think that that might even have been more comfortable!!
ReplyDeleteGlad that it all worked out in the end. Not sure how you can feel safe to sleep in boats and vans though. I hope you keep a good eye on your luggage. You wouldn't want to be passing customs and find that it now contains bags of mystery liquid!!
At least when you did get to sleep that night you didn't have to worry about anyone rolling over on top of you. The freezing you felt will be a good reminder of the Canadian winter that is soon to be upon us. You, however, will have the luxury of turning the cold on and off at will;)
Keep safe, keep well. XO Uncle B.