Sunday, October 28, 2012

Bangkok Part 2


So as I pack the last few things into my suitcase once again, I think about what an amazing 11 days it had been. I’ve already had the pleasure of telling you a bit but to highlight the later part of the week I spent the time entertaining myself throughout the city, from Hi-So places, to free all you can drink ladies night from 7-9, Koh San, Department Stores, Markets, and my favourite day…….exploring the city with my camera. The city becomes a different character each time you look through that lens; you see the beauty in things that most people wouldn’t even turn a glance at. While immersed in the culture for the day I found myself trying at my best to speak the little Thai I had learned. Getting around okay, I stopped to watch, look and really see Bangkok. It has this familiar Asian feeling, but like every country it’s own flavour. The food here is REMARKABLE, and every time you turn the corner there is some other interesting cuisine for you to try at your own risk.

Life takes place in hyper speed in Bangkok, far from the relaxed island life I left behind in Borneo. I had to keep looking at my watch and checking the date, as if I was back in the real world. But Thai people have their own time too. Sometimes early, sometimes late, no real reason or method but love it all the same. As I set numerous time zones for friends and family all over the globe and check my watch it reminds me how fast time flies and how far away people really are.

Side note…..my OWSI (PADI Instructor Card) came in the mail along with a fancy certificate. It feels good when your dream starts to take shape. Now it’s “find a job” time…..or at least plan to find one in the future.

It’s funny how you find yourself in a place where you belong nowhere and are free to go anywhere. It can be daunting one day and exhilarating the next. But while these emotions ride like a rollercoaster be sure to sit back and enjoy them. Cause for these moments of question and doubt will find you back in moments of clarity. Life has curve balls and we all get hit once and awhile. Like most, one of mine was on my last night out in Bangkok. We were having a great time, in fact, an amazing time. We figured we should spend my last Saturday on Koh San the same way we spent the first. Buckets around the table my friend and I snuck away to the Thai spa for pre-beach touch-ups. She was having none of it, but accompanied me for moral support. Needing to recharge the cash funds we went to the ATM….and the ATM machine decided it was not having any of what I needed and ate my card. Standing in the middle of the bank on a Saturday night, I didn’t do what most would expect, I DIDN’T get upset, or angry, instead I called the one and only “MOM” to the rescue. Reminding me it was Thanksgiving weekend I told her not to worry and I would be fine for a while. Deciding that fate was going to be what it was we went back to our buckets and finished out the evening right.

And here comes Monday, the day…………my bestie and I had to cancel our original plans to visit the islands on the weekend due to a cyclone warning. So I decided I was going anyways, just AFTER the weekend. Realising just how easy it was to do everything through the Internet I had all but my ride to the pier arranged. I was going diving, and not even a lost ATM card could stop me….lol. Nervous about the train as I have heard they are NOT even as close to as nice as the oldest trains in Taiwan. I braced myself for the adventure on my own. My bestie Thai twin couldn’t have been more nervous for me doing this all by myself. And to be honest while I was on the train I did NOT see another foreigner alone.  But okay, like I would of let that stop me anyways. Getting there early, as one would expect to do for a departure time I found a great teashop with green tea and NO sugar. Ecstatic at this I was off through the entrance towards my platform to find a safe, but protected area to wait and drink my tea. Keeping to myself sipping tea and surfing the net, the next thing I know a very annoying guy thought it would be funny to grab and knock my tea all over me…….awesome! IT was NOT such a good idea, but he did it anyways. So now it goes through my mind as to whether I can chance it and drink the rest of this tea. Could he have put something in it? I smelt it……. Looked in it…..and decided best to be careful. Just ALWAYS be careful I thought…..weird too, be careful ESPECIALLY when it’s weird. Finally it was time to get on the train, I needed a sink, some water and a change of clothes….lol. Well all that changed when I realized my lower berth sleeper in the afternoon was actually someone’s seat as well. Now I understand why everyone takes late night trains……lol……..no harm no foul. I figured it was best I curled up and tried to sleep as long as possible anyways. Making friends with the security guard as he jumped from seat to seat every stop. He made his way down for a chat. Asked me if I wanted my bed made up early cause I was tired, and said he’d make mine up first when it was time…..smiling I went back to sleep. Like clockwork at 5:31pm he came round to wake me and turn my uncomfy chair into a comfy bed…….yay!!!! So I figure time to get some food. Diner cart…….lol……..my favourite place on the train. You can drink, smoke, eat, do shots, and anything you like in there. Getting there through each car was interesting, crossing with doors open, and connections not fully connected……..I made it. All the tables were full except for one with 2 really nice Thai Train Police officers. I figured if I sat with anyone they’d be my best bet……..and were they ever. Ordered me food, got me an ice-cold beer, and some peanuts to snack on. Tummy full it was time for a nap……..and of course I couldn’t sleep, no 3G on my phone, and kids everywhere it was iPod and loud girly music time.  10hrs later a few naps, and a 400m walk with dive gear I arrived at my hostel to find I only had 4 flights of stairs to climb before I could have a shower….at least they got me a 50Bt ($1.50CAD) ride to the pier (which they never even charged me for) my island adventure began. Thanks Bangkok!

1 comment:

  1. Good reaction/thinking on the spilled tea episode. Definitely better safe than sorry.
    Nothing better than loud girly music to make a train ride memorable.
    Climbing 4 flights of stairs - think of how strong your underwater leg kicks will get doing this kind of thing - excellent preparation to swim away from GREAT WHITES!! XO Uncle B.

    ReplyDelete